Saturday, September 12, 2015

Somebody's knocking at your door...do me a favour...let 'em in.


Aren't there cracks in everyone's life that have no easy fillings? And so we allow pain and denial to settle in the cracks. Well, to me even these cracks are dear as they define me and give my being 'meaning' and it is through these very cracks that I am able to develop an understanding of philosophy, poetry, art, life, relationships and appreciation of nature. In dealing with the cracks one poet I have come to love is Rumi.I know many of you read him too :) I sometimes write my interpretations of Rumi, here is one such.So come, let us then think of ourselves as a 'soul with a body' instead of a 'body with a soul'. The body is only constantly running towards it's end. Coz that is the ultimate truth.



Picture Coursey: Pineterest 




The Guesthouse: Rumi

This 'being human' is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a mean memory,
some momentary awareness of a time gone past,
suddenly arrives as an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain all! 
Even if it's a crowd of sorrows,that violently sweeps your house empty of its belongings,
Even so, treat each guest with honour
Who knows, he/she may be clearing you out
for some new delight, some new adventure....
The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.
Be grateful for whoever that comes,
as each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.



(With major edits to the English translation made by me)

No comments: